Another great way to curb hunger and keep you full without eating too much, but still allows you to get proper nutrition is snacking on whole grain. Complex carbs and fiber are packed into whole grain, which provides our bodies with energy that lasts. When choosing a whole grain snack or meal, the first ingredient MUST say one of the following:
- “whole-grain corn”
- "whole oats”
- “whole rye”
- “whole wheat”
- “wild rice”
- “brown rice”
- “graham flour”
. Otherwise, it’s refined and enriched, meaning most of the bran and germ has been removed during the process. Keep in mind “wheat flour” and “unbleached wheat flour”, as well as “oatmeal bread/crackers” are not whole grain.
What counts as a serving?
- a half cup of cooked brown rice, whole-grain pasta, or other cooked whole-grains
- a cup of 100% whole-grain cold cereal
- a slice of 100% whole-grain bread
- a product contai ning at least 16 grams of whole-grain ingredients
Along with fruits and vegetables, whole-grain products provide disease-fighting fiber, antioxidants, and phytochemicals as well as B vitamins, vitamin E, magnesium, and iron. Whole-grains have been proven to reduce the risks of obesity, diabetes, cancer, stroke, and heart disease. Also, fiber is great with weight loss and maintenance because a high-fiber diettends to make a meal more filling so you stay full for a longer amount of time; therefore you eat less and take in fewer calories. (source)
For simple snacking munch on dry cereal. Other options include topping off low-fat yogurt or ice cream (in moderation, of course- THE ICE CREAM, THAT IS!) with your favorite whole grain cereal. For a healthy trail mix, combine cereal with dried fruits, whole-grain pretzels and crispbreads, and for a little bit of sugar throw in some mini marshmallows.
Whole Grain cold cereals:
- Granola or muesli
- Raisin bran
- shredded wheat
- wheat germ
- General mills wheat chex
Whole Grain hot cereals:
- oat bran
- quaker multigrain
- ralston high fiber
- roman meal
A toast to toast! Toast bread and slice into quarters for dipping into hummus, low-fat cheese dips or extra-chunky salsa. For a sweet treat, top with cinnamon/sugar, jelly, honey or applesauce. Or, use toasted whole wheat bread as a casing for vegetable and low-fat cream cheese sandwiches. Also, try topping bread with sliced apples. (source)
Great sandwich recipe:
Hummus and Feta Sandwiches on Whole grain bread
Team crackers with low-fat cheese and luncheon meats. Or, use wheat crackers as a platform for a chunky fruit and yogurt dip.
- Back to Nature Harvest Whole Wheats
- Nabisco Triscuit Reduced Fat
- 34 Degrees Whole Grain Crispbread crackers
- * just remember to follow the guidelines written above
Spread a wheat tortilla with low-fat peanut butter and a banana, drizzled with a little honey; roll up and enjoy a healthy snack. Or, make a quick quesadilla by placing slices of cheese on a tortilla, microwaving until the cheese melts and folding the tortilla in half. Watch out though - cheese is hot!
Whole wheat flour
Whole grain barley
Brown rice/Wild rice
- Popcorn is a whole grain. Compared to most snack foods, popcorn is low in calories. Air-popped popcorn has only 31 calories per cup. Oil-popped is only 55 per cup
- Pretzels are the fastest growing snack food in the United States. Most products are almost fat-free.
- Brown rice is only available in small boxes because the bran portion is higher in fat which may cause the rice to go rancid if not used in a short period of time
- Whole grains are also rich in natural antioxidants
- Foods labeled '100% Whole Wheat' are made with only whole wheat flour
- Foods that are labeled 'Multigrain' are made with several different types of whole grains, and some white flour may also be in the bread
- whole grains are also absorbed more slowly in our bodies (compared to refined grain, like white bread and rice)