WHAT IS IT?
- Foods that contain high fat and sugar that carry little to no health promoting elements, along with a high calorie count. That is, no fiber, antioxidants, minerals, vitamins, or other nutritional value
- it’s the biggest culprit to weight gain when moderation isn’t enforced.
- Stimulates hunger so you crave & eat more of it
Two of which you want to watch out for:
1) SOLID FATS/OIL
- you’ll see this as trans-fat and saturated fats on labels
- fats that are solid at room temperature = solid fats
- often found in fast foods, pizza, mayonnaise, salad dressings, fried foods, frozen snacks, crackers, chips, microwavable popcorn, etc
- 1 g = 9 calories
2) ADDED SUGAR/OTHER SWEETENERS
- found in soda, sports drinks, candy, fruit juice, desserts, sugar substitutes, breakfast cereals/bars, etc
HOW TO AVOID EMPTY CALORIES FROM SNEAKING UP ON YOU
1. make simple swaps
- craving for something sweet? try grabbing a fruit instead to see if it’s enough to satisfy the craving
- try the unsweetened cereals and add fresh fruits as sweetener (banana always gets the job done when it comes to sweetening)
- make oatmeal, sprinkle brown sugar/honey, add fresh/dried fruits
2. Thirsty? Grab water to down first, not the soda or the sports drink. Quenching your thirst with these will only leave you unfulfilled and longing for more. If you’re still wanting the sugar, grab a diet version
3. Don’t fall for the “no trans-fat!” or “low-fat” crackers, chips, and other snack foods. Truth is, they’ve added extra sugar to compensate for that “no fat” advertisement.
4. Choose lean meats and poultry
5. read the label - a good, simple starting point: avoid high fructose syrup, sodium nitrate, bleached & enriched flours, artificial food coloring
6. Choose fresh fruits as sweeteners
MODERATION IS KEY…
This doesn’t mean to cut your sugar/fat intake completely. It means, like everything else we put in our bodies, to make wiser choices. Practice moderation! If you just can’t live without the extra added-sugar, a simple solution would be to exercise, Get movin’ so you can burn those calories ;)
Live, Love, Be the healthy YOU!